Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Princess Jellyfish

by Akiko Higashimura
Hennepin County Library paperback unpaged
genre: YA manga

I don't generally like manga, but this one kept me reading until the end . . . and it was a thick, multi-volume story. I'm even curious about what happens next, though I won't pursue it.

Eighteen-year-old Tsukimi Kurashira is a fujoshi (anti-social manga artist) . . . since I've already returned this to the library and I read through the glossary while I was tired, I've looked it up on Wikipedia:

Fujoshi (腐女子, lit. "rotten girl") is a self-mockingly pejorative Japanese term for female fans of manga and novels that feature romantic relationships between men. ... The name was coined by mass media, but was reclaimed by yaoi fans.

There is a politician with two sons, the younger a 20-something who likes to dress as a beautiful girl but insists he is perfectly normal. There is a "nunnery" apartment filled with fujoshi, an evil developer who will stoop to any tactics to get her way, and Tsukimi's memories of her mother.

No comments: