Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Books of Magic

by Neil Gaiman (writer)
Illustrated by John Bolton, Scott Hampton, Charles Vess, Paul Johnson
Lettered by Todd Klein
Hennepin County Library hardcover 198 pages
genre: graphic novel

I was curious to read Sandman (a classic, yet I've never read it!) but it wasn't in when I checked out books so I got this. Neil Gaiman is legendary and this work has so much in it - the universe, time, magic and science . . . Yet it didn't resonate for me. I think I would have really enjoyed it as a teenager. At this point in my life, I could appreciate all that went into creating this story of a teen boy - Timothy Hunter - who is approached by four mysterious men (an unnamed man shows him the past, John Constantine introduces him to other magicians, Doctor Occult / Rose shows him the far lands (fairyland), and Mister E shows him the future).

No comments: