Friday, September 23, 2016

Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential within us all

by Tom Kelley and David Kelley
Hennepin County Library hardcover 256 pages plus endnotes and index
genre: non-fiction motivational

This book was so powerful, I ordered a copy off Amazon. Some of what I read in here resonates with what we're doing at PRMS. Some of it really challenges me to get out of my comfort zone and off my duff!



Stanford d school . . . K-12 education . . . could I do this?

Growth mindset is crucial. It's "a passport to new adventures."

page 54 - losing confidence in creativity as a child. This immediately made me think of a "creativity" "test" given to me in school - elementary or middle school, I don't remember - with a series of circles to draw things. Being told that I wasn't very creative (because I stayed within the circles) . . . very discouraging. Almost a turning point in my life, certainly in how I viewed myself and my abilities.


page 218 - the importance of writing ideas down right away! They can be elusive, like dreams. Jot notes and capture them.

page 220-221 My comment from earlier comes full circle! I wish I knew which teacher in Bloomington convinced me I had just failed a creativity test . . . I'd like to chew them out.





No comments: