Wednesday, February 03, 2016

The Lighthouse Land

by Adrian McKinty
PRMS hardcover 387 pages
genre: YA adventure with some SciFi

I had to force myself to read this one to the end. It just didn't work well for me. There are some nice elements, but it felt forced and unfocused. I marked one spot to identify this WTF? quality (sorry for the implied crudity).

page 279 - "He was only thirteen and puberty had hit the same time as cancer, amputation, and silence. Jealousy was something Laurence Fishburne did as Othello at Shakespeare in the Park, not something Jamie was intimately familiar with. His feelings toward Lorca were just a confused melange of irritation and resentment."

Not sure which type of reader this book would appeal to, but it did not work for me. Not the wormhole to another planet, not Jamie's sad life story, not his "romance" with Wishaway. Just didn't work. Answered my question about whether to invest in the other two books of the trilogy, though. No.

No comments: