Sunday, February 07, 2016

Serafina and the Black Cloak

by Robert Beatty
Hennepin County Library hardcover 293 pages
genre: YA supernatural, scary

I wish this book hadn't been talked up so much. I enjoyed it, but had higher expectations and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Serafina is an odd girl, living in the basement of the Vanderbilt mansion in the Carolina mountains. Her pa is the chief mechanic and she is the rat-catcher, but she stays hidden from most other people in the huge house. One night, the Man in the Black Cloak appears and overcomes a girl in a yellow dress. Serafina fought him off, but didn't save the girl. No one believes her story and instead they search for the missing child.

The story has great elements of mystery and fear. It is clean enough for my younger readers.

No comments: