Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Vacation Dreaming

I got different books on Maui (because it's February in Minnesota - duh). I didn't read them thoroughly (travel books aren't very scintillating) but I wanted to record some impressions here before I return them to the library.

Fodor's InFocus (ISBN 9781400008896) - no author listed
  • small
  • great maps
  • organized by regions and features
Discover Maui by Lonely Planet (ISBN 9781742206288) - by Amy Balfour
  • also organized by region
  • great color-coding
  • a previous reader highlighted in it!
  • "best of" feature (beaches, dinners, etc.) 
  • great "insider" advice
Maui Great Destinations (ISBN 9781581570472) - by Carol Fowler
  • all black and white photographs (Hawaii doesn't look quite as appealing when it's not in color)
  • organized differently - I like it - by history, culture, dining, lodging, etc. rather than by region of the island (West, South, Central, Upcountry, etc.)
  • great descriptions of restaurants, prices, etc.  
Maui Revealed (ISBN 9780996131803) - by Andrew Doughty
  • This one is fantastic! I will either get it again from the library (waiting list) or just buy it. I may buy it on my phone ($7? on GooglePlay) so I can have it offline if/when we actually go . . . . dreaming big time! 
  • It is now March in MN . . . and I'm just adding to this post from 2/24. I actually have one more book on hold at the library. Apparently, I'm not the only one who wants to go!
  • This book has a lot of text - probably why I like it - with great history, background info, etc. I have really enjoyed reading it and I want to keep on, but it's due back.
  • Page 210 has a list of places you can go sailing with (thinking of Louie here). Page 22 has things you must pack. There's a pronunciation guide . . . so much!
  • In addition to all the text, there are the usual recommendations for where to stay, eat, go, etc. 
  • I love this book! 
Maui: Must-Do Hikes for Everyone (ISBN 9780899976259) - by Sara Benson
  • The two pages in the preface with the info on difficulty, length, uses, terrain, etc. - very handy! I love that one of the icons is for lava flows . . .
  • I think Haleakala National Park will be a must-do.
  • I'm not a die-hard enough hiker to have this title be super important to me. It would definitely be a win for people who love to do lots of hiking.

No comments: