Monday, July 07, 2014

Out of the Easy

by Ruta Sepetys
Hennepin County Library hardcover 346 pages
genre: teen historical fiction

Sepetys has done it again! This book is captivating and I could not put it down! Josie Moraine is a 17-year-old daughter of a prostitute living in the French Quarter of New Orleans. She wants to get away from the world she has known and the men who frighten her. Could she find a way to go to Smith College?

The characters are wonderfully drawn - Patrick Marlowe, his dad Charlie, the madam Willie Woodley, Cokie (Willie's employee), Jesse Thierry, the prostitutes . . . this was a very compelling story with elements of mystery and intrigue. The ending made me cry. I loved it.

Initially, I thought I wouldn't buy it for my middle school collection, but it's actually fairly clean (in terms of language and sex) and it's a very well-written story!

 

<Above posted 7.7.2014. Below added 11.8.2023.>

 

Sepetys is one of my favorite historical fiction authors.  I listened to the audiobook on Libby. Read by Lauren Fortgang, I was surprised by aspects of the story I had forgotten. Josie trying to deal with Carlos' mob man on her own . . . Josie's mom stealing the watch Willie gave her for her 18th birthday . . . This book is quite good. I liked the author's notes after the story, too.

No comments: