Friday, July 04, 2014

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal

by Mary Roach
Hennepin County Library audioCDs, 7 discs
read by Emily Woo Zeller
genre: non-fiction science

The problem with "reading" this as an audiobook is that I didn't get to see any of the pictures. I've just requested a print copy so I can look . . . because I'm just that curious. Roach did very thorough research and wrote with some humor. Zeller does a spectacular job with reading, though I didn't love some of her funny "character" voices on interview quotes. Overall, a fascinating and disgusting book about digestion, burps, farts, feces, etc. More than I wanted to know, but it held my attention!

addendum 7/11/14
I got the print book from the library. The images are disappointing. The black and white photos don't add much to the story; some look like stock images (a photo of a bathroom "occupied" sign). There is one per chapter and only a few really mattered (the drawing of Beaumont in his coat with epaulets and St. Martin with his bare chest and stomach hole) to the overall story.

No comments: