Friday, July 04, 2014

Chasing Shadows

by Swati Avasthi
Hennepin County Library hardcover 308 pages
genre: teen fiction, fantasy, relationships

Twins Corey and Holly have a girlfriend / best friend in Savitri. The three of them enjoy "freerunning" in Chicago and pushing their physical limits. Then their lives are changed in the blink of an eye. Most of the story is told from Holly's and Savitri's perspectives, with plenty of graphic novel pages thrown in to tell parts.

Liked:
- inclusion of graphic novel pages
- psychological depths in friendship and parent/child relationships
- details and descriptions
- Avasthi is a Minnesota author and I've met her!

Disliked:
- lack of clarity about Holly's delusions and future
- wouldn't get it for middle school . . . they already make careless decisions. I would hate for students to think "Hey, freerunning sounds like fun! I think I'll try it." It sounds terribly dangerous and I was surprised to learn that it's an actual sport.

No comments: