Monday, July 07, 2014

Better Nate than Ever

by Tim Federle
Hennepin County Library audiobook 5 discs
read by the author
genre: YA realistic fiction

Interesting. I really like the fact that the author read his own work. Nate's innocence and ignorance are endearing, but I'm not sure if this book would appeal to many of my students. The immersion in Broadway shows and adventuring to NYC on a lark are fun. I enjoyed it and Nate's exploration of who he is and what he wants out of life.

Nate Foster is 13 and relentlessly bullied at school for being a "fag" and worse names. His best friend Libby helps him take off for New York to audition for E.T. the Musical but he is woefully unprepared for the Big Apple and all the new things he sees and hears. I almost cried when his aunt Heidi showed up. A sweet story.

No comments: