Saturday, November 02, 2013

Dakota Dream

by James Bennett
PRMS paperback 182 pages
genre: realistic fiction, coming-of-age

Floyd has been in foster homes, group homes, and left "hanging" while waiting for a new place to live. He wants a place to belong and sees himself as a Dakota Indian. He refers to it as his Destiny. Calling himself Charley Black Crow, he takes off one day to go to an Indian Reservation. This is where the story begins, then his back story is told while he is on a vision quest.

I read this to see if I should keep it in the collection or weed it. I don't think it has much "kid appeal" since it gets off to a very slow start. I thought about keeping it for the cultural aspect . . . except that he is a white kid who has a tremendous amount of respect for and knowledge about American Indians. I am glad I read it, but I'm not sure it will appeal to my readers.

No comments: