Saturday, November 02, 2013

Mansfield Park

by Jane Austen
PRMS hardcover 408 pages
genre: historical fiction, romance

I forced myself to finish this book. It was the only Austen I had not read. I shall not read it again. Fanny is sent from her overcrowded home to live with her aunt and uncle at Mansfield Park. They are wealthy and egocentric. Fanny is a navel-gazer who can barely function with anyone other than her cousin Edmund. It takes these people forever and five conversations to say one sentiment.

Can you tell I hated it? I'm so glad I'm finally done reading this. It helped that it was on my iPad and I could finish on the drive home from Iowa. I have re-read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, but I do not think I will ever open this book again. Goodbye, Fanny! Goodbye Crawfords! Goodbye, most awful Aunt Norris! (Not the aunt of Mansfield Park; just an odious sister of hers.)

No comments: