Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Rules of Murder

by Julianna Deering
Hennepin County Library paperback 328 pages
genre: Christian historical mystery fiction

This was fun, but not terribly gripping. Drew Farthering is a dashing 1930s man of wealth who loves to read and solve mysteries. Two bodies are found at his family estate and the detective work begins. There's also a little romance with Madeline Parker.

We read this for book club and as usual - I enjoyed the discussion! My favorite thing was Jodi saying she could picture the book's events happening as though in an old black and white film from this era.

I actually found the solution of the mystery a bit confusing. I won't do a spoiler here, but the pieces came together at the end in a way that I don't think the author had dropped enough clues about.

Parts I marked:
page 118 - contemplating one's life in light of eternity / also, Madeline's peace and certain hope
page 176 - hypocrites in the church and where they need to be - "It's not the healthy people who need the hospital, you know."
page 292 - Drew saying "God, what does she want from me?" and then turning it into an actual prayer of seeking to God.

No comments: