Friday, October 25, 2013

The End Is Just the Beginning: How I Survived the Death of My Only Child

by Michela Duplechain
friend's copy paperback 111 pages
genre: memoir, Christian encouragement

I don't think the friend who wholeheartedly recommended this book has actually read it. Although it is definitely a faith-focused book filled with encouragement from Scripture, I didn't find it compelling. The spelling and grammar errors were very distracting; I'm not sure if anyone actually edited this before it went to press. The author's primary audience is women who have had a child die; her secondary audience is women suffering from domestic abuse. Neither of these "spoke" to me. As she relates her own experience, the storytelling is disjointed, vague, and confusing. Did her son's father actually parent with her? Or was he also an abuser like her second husband (who killed her son Anthony). There are so many unanswered questions (in my mind). It is a great testimony of her faith and what God did in her life. My favorite part was her grandma coming over to her house and banging on the door. I would rather read the Bible than the time I spent reading this book, though.

No comments: