Thursday, January 31, 2008

Chasing Vermeer

by Blue Balliett, illustrated by Brett Helquist
254 pages, paperback, CMSW

I've heard kids raving about this book for two years, so I had to read it! It's a mystery story with lots of clues - in the text and in pictures. I need to get this copy to a student, so I'll have to look at the pictures and check the website - I think there's a lot I missed!

Spoiler alert!
It took me a while to translate the secret messages using the code, so here they are for anyone too lazy to figure it out themselves (below the code):


Chapter 6
Calder - Name of kid next door is Frog. Vanished last week. I think kidnapped. have to stay inside. Mom afraid. New York stinks. - Tommy
Tommy, so sorry about Frog. Maybe you can solve mystery and be hero. Be careful. - Calder

Chapter 12
Calder - Fred caught me looking for clues on Frog. Got mean. Took my bike. Mom and Fred fighting. - Tommy

Chapter 14
Calder - Fred moved out. We want to come home but no money. - Tommy
There's so much more in this book than just a mystery story! Lots of extras at the end, too. My favorite part was when Petra found Calder in the tree house with the painting. The kids' names are cool, too!
Not sure if / when I'll read the sequel. I also really liked the pentiminoes and how Calder used them.




No comments: