Friday, January 11, 2008

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

I just glanced back over my entries and didn't see this one! Hmmm. . . I read it about a month ago and was very engaged by the story. The Chinese custom of foot-binding fascinates me. It seems so brutal and horrifying, yet it was very important to their culture at one time. We'll discuss it at book club (CMSW) in a few weeks. I hope I remember enough of the details to be able to talk intelligently about it!

The secret writing and messages sent back and forth on the fan really tie the entire story together. I was so glad that the servant girl had taken those items and prevented their destruction. Though I was dismayed by the main character's treatment of her friend Snow Flower, I could understand where her reactions came from.

No comments: