Saturday, December 23, 2023

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple

by Karen Cushman

Libby audiobook 5 hours

Read by Christina Moore

Published: 1996 (this version 1997)

Genre: YA historical fiction


I can't believe I've never blogged this story, either! I just checked my old Excel sheet and found nothing.


I remember the first time I read this (in print) and I sobbed at a sad part. I laughed at Lucy's brother learning all the different words for alcohol. There are both surface things and deep things to enjoy in this story.


Lucy "California" Whipple has gone west with her mother, brother, and two little sisters during the 1850s. Her mother will start a boarding house in Lucky Diggins while they figure out life without Pa and two sisters who have died.


Lucy just wants to go home to Massachusetts. I really like Cushman's writing. This is a wonderful book.

No comments: