Tuesday, December 05, 2023

The Wings of Poppy Pendleton

by Melanie Dobson

Scott County Library paperback 326 pages plus author's note, discussion questions, and acknowledgements

Published: 2023

Genre: Christian historical fiction


With chapters focusing on Chloe in 1992 and Amelia Pendleton in 1907, this book has a lot of mysteries for the reader to figure out. I ended up grabbing scrap paper to make notes about the timeline as I tried to connect the dots. I thought about taking a picture and including it here, but I'm too lazy! (Plus, it has spoilers on it . . . ) Reader hint: you may want to make your own timeline with major events and characters' ages.


I missed book club discussion last week because I wasn't finished reading and didn't want the mysteries solved for me! I didn't fall in love with this book and I'm not sure why. My favorite character was Logan. I liked the islands, the boats, the castle, the candy store, and the ending. 


Page 186: "No one knew what went on sometimes in families. The good and the bad. No one could possibly understand except those who had lived through it."

 

This struck me! Some people act as though everything is fine when it's not; others overdramatize their experience and create trauma that didn't happen. ALL of us have experienced unique things in our family history that can't necessarily be explained. Life is meant to be lived. 


Page 204: "While Chloe's earthly father might have failed, Nana liked to say, her heavenly Father would never fail her. Instead of scattering the pieces of her life, God would help her mold them into something good."

 

For people who DO have disappointing fathers, I think it's so wonderful to know that God is our perfect heavenly father who loves us unconditionally.


Page 212: "Chloe glanced down at Joe's colorful tackle box, still partially filled with candy. She wanted to bring joy to people, but too much of anything could hurt. How did one enjoy the simple pleasures without being consumed?"

 

I'm not sure if the author was comparing candy to opium . . . but it is an interesting conversation to talk about pleasures and what our role is in being faithful to God. Seeking holiness is not about making sure you get your own needs and wants met!


Page 238: "'We have that in common then. I like words and stories and uncovering the mysteries in this life, whether made by man or God Himself."

 

It took Chloe way too long to actually like Logan! I'm also a person who likes words and stories.


Page 268: "The lie of Poppy Pendleton had been erased, and a new reality had been born. She'd never tell Birdie what happened back in England or on Koster Isle. Instead, Birdie would live free from any worry of becoming like her mother and grandmother or Sarah, for that matter. And neither of them would have to worry if Ellie defied the registrar after the accident, like Sarah had done, and was searching for them both."


I'm honestly not sure why I tagged this. I guess because I don't like secrets. I'm a firm believer in telling the truth! I mean, it worked out well for Birdie . . . but I still think truth is best.


I didn't write about all the bird imagery or the human trafficking or the high society stuff . . . there's a lot in this book!

Page 286: "'God is good,' he said, his eyes on the rain-soaked window. 'I'm just trying to partner with Him.'"



No comments: