Saturday, November 12, 2022

The Body in the Library

by Agatha Christie

Libby audiobook 5 hours

Read by: Stephanie Cole

Published: 1942 (this version 2012)

Genre: murder mystery


I am very confident I have read this book before, but I could not find a blog entry for it. I didn't actually remember who the murderer was, though I had vague recollections about the guilty parties. The vocal work was excellent. This was a wonderful Miss Marple story. I love how she solved the case! 


A dead blond is found in Colonel and Mrs. Bantry's library. The horrid gossips are sure that Colonel Bantry was complicit and murmured about him having an affair. Awful people! Then Dolly Bantry "enjoying" "her" murder . . . what a character! But really, she was cognizant of how the gossip and ill will would affect her husband. 


Ruby Keene and Pamela Reeves are both dead; what's the connection. Conway Jefferson's son-in-law Mark Gaskell and his daughter-in-law Adelaide Jefferson both have the most to gain from the death of Ruby, but they have air-tight alibis. Or do they? The "movie man" Basil Blake also seems suspicious but has an alibi. Or does he?

 

I enjoyed this story, though Miss Marple's tendency to find evil in human nature can be a bit disconcerting.

No comments: