Saturday, October 15, 2022

Laika

by Nick Abadzis

Scott County Library paperback 200 pages

Published: 2007

Genre: graphic novel 


Based on the true story of Laika, the Russian dog who was the first living being in orbit around Earth, this book is fictionalized and made more touching by giving her a back story.


I think I've read this book in the past, but I didn't find a blog entry. Reading it made me sad, not just because Laika was sent into space without hope of return, but for the Cold War posturing, the "training" the dogs went through, and the poignancy of the humans getting emotionally attached to animals who were being used this way.


I don't care for Abadzis' art style, but I do appreciate his storytelling ability. I got this after listening to the audiobook I had checked out to share with Joshua. He's not ready for this graphic novel, though!

No comments: