Sunday, October 30, 2022

City Spies

by James Ponti

Maud Hart Lovelace 2022-23 award nominee

Libby eBook (pages depends on device and size of font!)

Published: 2020

Genre: YA spy fiction

 

This was a delightful read. Sara Martinez is in family court because her plan to expose her foster parents' fraud has backfired on her. She is rescued by "Mother," the man who leads the special spy group of kids as part of MI6. Each kid is renamed based on their city of origin, so Sara becomes Brooklyn. She joins Paris, Rio, Sydney, and Kat (Kathmandu).  

 

Not sure which chapter, but I highlighted this:


"'You're amazing, Kat,' Paris said. 'Absolutely amazing.'

'Maths is amazing, ' Kat said. 'I just know how to use it.'"


The book is lively, action-oriented, and like most kid spy stories, completely unrealistic! But it is a delightful story of talented youngsters working together and appreciating one another's strengths. Also, the back story of Mother trying to find his children after being double-crossed by his wife . . . that is a very interesting story that will certainly need to be revisited in future books. I love that she is the one who came to the rescue at a critical juncture. 


In chapter 34, I highlighted an inconsequential line because it made me smile. "He loved to bake, and his specialty was a type of fruit pastry called a kolach, which he made from a recipe passed down from his grandmother."


Kolache! I remember my first few experiences with them. And the delicious ones Gretchen Anderson made for me from her grandmother's recipe! And I had never heard of them before I started working in New Prague.


Not sure when I'll get around to reading the other books in the series, but this was fun.

No comments: