Tuesday, October 11, 2022

When God Winks: How the Power of Coincidence Guides Your Life

by SQuire Rushnell

Scott County Library hardcover 164 pages

Published: 2001

Genre: Christian . . . theology?

 

When I read my first "God Winks" book three years ago, I remember thinking that it was pretty cheesy, but also very impactful to hear stories of God working in people's lives in unexpected ways. I've since seen a few clips on YouTube of Rushnell sharing "GodWink" stories. I wasn't super impressed, but curious.

 

Then I got this book and finally read it. It's just too gimmicky to me. It's as though he's trying to help people try to get as much out of God as possible by looking for his activity in their lives. It just felt wrong to me. The "power of  coincidence" is his shtick and glorifying God (or actually seeking out God's will for one's life) seem to fall by the wayside. 

 

I had considered buying the first book because the stories truly were impacting. Now I think I'm done with SQuire Rushnell . . . though I am a bit curious about why he capitalizes the Q in his name. 

No comments: