Sunday, October 30, 2022

The Sittaford Mystery

by Agatha Christie

Libby audiobook 2 hours

Read by: full cast (dramatized)

Published: 1931 (as "The Murder at Hazelmoor"), this version 2010

Genre: murder mystery


I usually really like Agatha Christie AND full cast adaptations. This one didn't work for me, though. Not sure if it was because of the role of the seance or that I thought the killer's motive was too much of a stretch, or I wasn't in the mood for this story. Perhaps I wasn't listening very carefully because I turned to Wikipedia to figure out the story line. 


As usual in a Christie mystery, there were LOTS of characters and things going on. The seance, the family that rented a house in an out-of-the-way part of the country, a huge snowstorm, a sudden death, an escaped convict . . . and the young fiancee of the accused killer is the one who solves the mystery. Oh. And the reporter working with her to uncover the truth (for a scoop, of course) declares his love for her and expects her to run off with him.


Not the best Christie story I've ever encountered.

 

No comments: