Wednesday, March 30, 2022

A Christmas Carol

by Charles Dickens

Libby ebook 181 pages

Published: 1843

Genre: classic, ghost story, moral fable


I'm not entirely sure why I checked this out. I know I wanted a book on my phone that would be there to read "just in case" - and I needed to find something that was not super popular / had a hard return date.


I assumed I'd read the story. After all, I've seen a performance at the Guthrie. I've definitely read abridged versions many times in language arts classes. I've seen Disney versions and parodies. I'm extremely familiar with the story.


Yet as I read, I found new details that seemed completely new. When Scrooge is traveling with the Ghost of Christmas Present, do you remember the lighthouse and the ship? I didn't. I love the many versions I've seen, but it was really good to read the original.


I'm still really impressed that Dickens wrote it so quickly and that the publication made a big societal impact. We watched the movie The Man Who Invented Christmas (about Dickens writing this book) at our December cookie party. I know a lot of it is fiction, but quite a bit is based on fact. Dickens is one of my favorite authors. I'm glad I read this!

No comments: