Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Nicholas Nickleby

by Charles Dickens
Hennepin County Library audiobook 25 CDs
read by Robert Whitfield
genre: historical fiction (sort of)

Whitfield's vocal work is phenomenal! Such a range of characters and voices!
I love Dickens and had never before read this one. I almost wish I'd had the print edition . . . this was a LOT of CDs and car time! (If I'd seen "Dotheboys" hall in print, I'd have mentally pronounced it "dothe boys" but it was read as "Do the boys" and I had to Google it because it sounded so weird!)


Random notes:
  • Mrs. N is ridiculous! And she has no idea how clueless she is . . . ugh! How did such a mother raise two such wonderful children as Nicholas and Kate?
  • Smike (?) - I'd love to know more about his sad story. (By the end, I did! So very sad.)
  • Sir Mulberry is hideous. I actually thought, "I hope he died in the carriage crash." 
  • Mantolinis are crazy . . . and frustrating. 
  • pence / shilling / guinea / pound farthing / tuppence - what are the monetary values? I need a way to compare these to better understand so many things!
  • Ralph is such an evil nasty man. He gets worse and worse as the story goes on! 
  • Squeers is also awful. What a horrid man! And spending so much time talking about morals! Yuk.
  • Names . . . "Tim Lincolnwater" repeated so much. 
  • Scoundrel! The whole part with Gride . . . and Ralph . . . and poor Madeleine Bray. 

I love Charles Dickens' storytelling. He also has a bit of an expose' in his writing. He has a lot to say about greed and evil. I will almost certainly re-read this at some time in the future!

No comments: