Tuesday, July 30, 2019

The Printed Letter Bookshop

by Katherine Reay
Carver County Library paperback 315 pages
genre: Christian realistic fiction

I like Reay's writing, but found this book both more complex than previous titles of hers and less enjoyable . . . perhaps a sign of my summer mood? We had a good discussion last night at book club.

Alternating between Madeline, Claire, and Janet, this story shows the personal development of these women as they navigate life together.

 My favorite character is Maddie, even though the story opens with her funeral. What an amazing woman to inspire such love and devotion! I want to love Jesus and love people like she did.

Page 138 - "Please, I'm a mom. We know no limits." This made me laugh! As Claire is trying to set Janet up on a date, Madeline observes that "There might be a limit to meddling." My kids are constantly telling me to back off!

I loved Greg Frankel (the lawyer) and how he helped guide Madeline to a new way of using her talents as a lawyer. He was delightful!

Page 170 - "Dear World, This may sound slutty, but I want to be used. Love, Grammar." I had to read this a few times to decide if I liked it or not, but I definitely liked it. Both Jodi and Jes also appreciated this quote! We're such nerds.

Page 236-7 "You're a good lawyer. Here. Doing this." There's so much about this chapter that I appreciate. I think my favorite aspect is Janet's changed attitude as she seeks God and He does a work in her heart. When she says this line to Madeline, things shift into focus for her as well. I love Janet's return to creating art. I love how God can take the broken parts of us and make new life.

Page 298 - "One word. Brian says nothing more." When Brian tells Claire "yes" to her proposal about the Printed Letter, it was so joyful. Their conversation is such a delightful resurgence of love and connection in their marriage.

This is a wonderful book, though I'm not reviewing it well. I enjoyed it and appreciate Reay's literary talents and love of literature. I would definitely re-read all her books. She includes a list of titles alluded to . . . and I'm resisting the desire to see which I've read and which I would add to my list. . .  

No comments: