Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Break No Bones

by Kathy Reichs
Carver County Library audiobook 10 CDs
read by Dorothee Berryman
genre: murder mystery fiction

This book really bugged me . . . but I'm not sure how much was the text and how much was the reader's voice. Berryman did a great job with differentiating voices, speaking French, etc. but I found Dr. Brennan to be incredibly irritating. She was a pathetic and stupid character. Perhaps my perception was formed too firmly by the character portrayed on TV's Bones.

She was irrational, bossy, and impulsive. The murders and detective work had interesting elements. There were lots of clues. It kept my attention. But I won't seek out other Reichs' books, no matter how talented or popular she is. (I wonder how much of herself she writes into her protagonist . . . the pathetic "romance" stories between her and her estranged husband, and her lover Ryan . . . she was just too pathetic to me.)

Each chapter ends with a mini-cliffhanger. Interesting tactic. 

And seriously. Why didn't she bring Boyd out with her at the end of the story? She always had the dog with her. Stupid storyline. What a shocker when we find out who the attacker / murderer is . . . dude!

No comments: