Sunday, March 03, 2019

An Unsuitable Job for a Woman

by P.D. James
Scott County Library audiobook 8 CDs
read by Penelope Dellaporta
genre: detective mystery

Cordelia Gray is a young private detective. Initially, I thought the story was set earlier, but soon realized that the young Mark Callendar was born in the 1950s.


What I liked:
  • clues, in classic whodunnit style
  • the mysteries!
  • not knowing who the murderer was for most of the story . . . in fact, I had lots of theories, but they all proved wrong!
  • the interesting characters . . . I could almost picture the cast if it were an Agatha Christie mystery!
  • the details in the story
  • the reader's voice - Dellaporta is so talented! I would pick an audiobook just to hear her!
What I disliked:
  • who the murderer was . . . and what actually happened. Yuk.
  • what Cordelia decided to do in the climactic scene . . . I just found her decision to be disappointing, even though I understand her motivation for doing so 
I'm not sure if I'll read more Cordelia Gray mysteries. I really liked her for most of the book. She's a strong character.

No comments: