Saturday, March 23, 2019

Hidden Figures

by Margot Lee Shetterly
Scott County Library paperback 265 pages
genre: non-fiction, history

I have to admit, this book would probably not have crossed my radar if it hadn't been for the amazing movie made based on this. I absolutely love the movie! Reading this, I see some of the places where Hollywood skewed the truth to tell a story . . . but I still love the movie! The author did a fantastic job of researching the history and tying in the racial aspects (in the people's lives, at NASA, in the South, in the United States vs. the rest of the world . . . ) with the technological aspects (human computers, mathematicians, engineers, teachers, airplanes, rockets, IBM, etc.). The book was perhaps a bit too techie for me, but I'm glad I read it and I'm even more glad that Lee Shetterly researched and wrote it!

No comments: