Monday, February 18, 2019

The Secrets of Wishtide: A Laetitia Rodd Mystery

by Kate Saunders
Scott County Library, audiobook, 9 CDs
read by Anna Bentinck
genre: Historical murder mystery

Set in the 1850s, this was a delightful story! I will have to see if this author has other titles. I didn't make many notes, but it was a good mystery with lots of different elements.

Sir James is a jerk! I disliked him even before I found out about his double standards for his own conduct vs. his wife's (and his deception regarding Esther). I ended up really liking Mrs. Hardy, especially when she told Laetitia "I'm a fallen woman, not a kept one." Mrs. Calderstone's role got better toward the end.

Blackbeard
Mrs. Gammon (Sally or Sarah?)
Mrs. Orn? Helen
So many different characters and locations in England! (And Antwerp . . . )

Arrowsmith / Gammon / Saville

Bentinck's vocal work is absolutely superb!

 

<Blogged above 2.18.19. Below added 11.29.22>

 

I don't have a lot to add, but I re-read it in Libby last week. The parents hire Mrs. Rodd to dissuade their son from marrying Mrs. Orm(?), a widow. As she tries to find out more about the woman, she learns that she likes her. But when murders start happening and the young master is going on trial, the case really heats up.

Sisters Blanche and Elizabeth are lovely counterparts to the main characters. But her confidante and landlady, Mrs. Bentley, who once let rooms to John Keats, is my favorite character.

No comments: