Thursday, February 07, 2019

Promise Me, Dad: A Year of Hope, Hardship, and Purpose

by Joe Biden
Scott County Library hardcover 206 pages
genre: memoir

I was very interested in reading about Joe Biden's son Beau. Those parts of this book were quite good. The political parts, with speeches, travel, etc. were kind of dull. The topics are quite important, but I was more interested in the personal. It kind of amazes me that I didn't realize Biden had such a major personal tragedy early in his adult life! He lost his first wife and daughter in a car accident that injured his young sons Beau and Hunter. . .

On page 77, when he relates President Obama's concerns about a possible "Biden in 2016" campaign, I put a post-it note. "For one thing, the president recognized the media's increasing appetite for the drama of politics over real policy." How sad it is to look back at that sentiment, now that we have a president who is all about drama over real policy.

Page 95 includes an interchange between Biden and Putin, but I question its veracity.
"Mr. Prime Minister, I'm looking into your eyes," I told him, smiling. "I don't think you have a soul."
He looked at me for a second and smiled back. "We understand each other," he said.
If true, that is simply too creepy. Putin is scary enough without him admitting to having no soul.

No comments: