Monday, February 18, 2019

Pastwatch: the Redemption of Christopher Columbus

by Orson Scott Card
PRMS discard, hardbound, 398 pages
genre: SciFi

Although Card is one of my favorite authors, I have been plowing through this slowly over several months. I'm on page 256, and I've decided to just let it go. I've never been a huge fan of time travel stories and this one is partly fascinating and partly irritating. "Pastwatch" is a technology that allows the watchers to go back in time and observe people and events in the past. Then a watcher realizes that the people being watched can *see* her! This changes everything.

The Christopher Columbus portions of the story - his history, motivations, and beliefs - are interesting, but I wonder how much research Card did and how accurate he is. His sources list at the end is pretty impressive.

A few passages really caught my attention. On page 49, "His words were so confident - yet she felt a dizzying vertigo, as if she stood on the edge of a great chasm, and the ground had just shifted a little under her feet. What sort of arrogance did she have, even to imagine reaching back into the past and making changes? Who am I, she thought, if I dare to answer prayers intended for the gods?"

The conversation on page 194 about going back (and who should go back and why . . . ) would have been a fascinating conversation to have with my peers when I was a teenager or a young adult. Now it doesn't interest me. It seems pointless.

This comment on page 203 amused me. "I know that to mate with someone without marriage is a repudiation of the community, a refusal to take one's proper role within the society."

It feels liberating to not spend more energy on this book. I have so many others I want to read!

No comments: