Sunday, February 24, 2019

King Peggy: An American Secretary, Her Royal Destiny, and the Inspiring Story of How She Changed an African Village

by Peggieliene Bartels and Eleanor Herman
personal copy paperback 334 pages
genre: biography / memoir

My son Alex and his wife gave this book to me a few years ago. Now that I've finally read it, I need to ask them if they met either of the authors . . . I'm not sure what the connection was for them to get this book and then give it to me. My sister wanted to read it for her book club, so that motivated me to finish it and loan it!

Peggy Bartels was born in Ghana, but had been working and living in Washington D.C. at the Ghanian embassy for years when she received a call that her uncle had died. The "spirits" had chosen her as the new king. After getting over her shock and disbelief, she needed to decide if she would accept the responsibility or not.

Her odyssey (living in the U.S. for 10-11 months each year and then traveling to Otuam, Ghana for the other month or two) was expensive and arduous. Her royal advisors were crooked, stealing from the money that should have gone toward the betterment of the village. The book was interesting and worth reading, but I struggled with the descriptor of her as a "devout Christian" intermixed with her pouring libations to the ancestors and talking to the spirits of the stool for direction.

Here are some passages I noted that I really liked or reacted to as I was reading:

Page 48 - "An African wearing kente, or even regular cloth decorated with adinkra symbols, walked out into the world proclaiming what he or she stood for: strength, family, or forgiveness, powerful concepts that helped you get through your day. Peggy opened her closet and looked at the row of black and brown pantsuits she usually wore to the office. How sad, she thought, that we Americans dress like this. We walk outside every morning with no power, no symbolism, no added bit of spiritual heft to help us meet our challenges."

Page 159 - "My people have no running water, she thought, and bad schools, and minimal health care, and electricity only part of the time. Most have no cars, no television, and no radio, and the kids don't have games or toys. We are poor in gadgets, but rich in so many other ways. And America, despite all its riches , and despite all the buttons you can push there, is in some respects poor."

Page 166 - (When the door fell off the refrigerator and Cousin Charles fixed it with a piece of cork) "'There!' he said, satisfied. He looked at Peggy. 'I know that in America you go out and buy new things when something breaks. But this is African engineering at an African price.'" I love that!

Page 198 - I laughed when I read the section about Tsiami's virility, even though I mostly thought he was a jerk.

Page 260 - "Returning to Ghana had made Peggy more aware than ever before of the concept of African family, of the interlocking layers of support needed to ensure that the weakest do not falter."

Page 317 - When Tsiami explained what Isaiah and Baba Kobena had done, in agreement with Uncle Joseph's daughters, it was heartbreaking. "Those in the room lowered their heads in shame at the story, except for Peggy. Her head was high, and her eyes flashing. But they haven't won, Peggy thought. Because there is a God who doesn't approve of dishonoring corpses, especially that of the person who gave you life. They haven't won because there is a God who hates deceit and bribery and causing pain to innocent people, a God who will punish the wicked. Honor thy father and mother, God said, and he wasn't joking."

Page 333 - "When I first cheerfully got on a plane headed for Ghana I had no idea that the experience would be life-changing. There are many Americans - I myself was one of them - who live in big houses with every luxury money can buy and who are, nonetheless, stressed, depressed, and take for granted so much of what we have. Until my trip to Otuam, I was never grateful for the faucet that brought me clean water, hot or cold, at a touch. For flush toilets. For the ambulance that arrives at our doors within minutes of a 911 call. For food and clothing, heating and air-conditioning. Yet most of the people of Otuam, despite their poverty and their lack of water, health care, and educational opportunities, are grateful for every blessing and find joy in their faith, families, and friends in a way that those of us trapped in suburban depression can't imagine."

No comments: