Thursday, January 03, 2019

The Heart Healthy Cookbook for Two

by Jennifer Koslo
Scott County Library
(Subtitled: 125 Perfectly Portioned Low Sodium, Low Fat Recipes)

I won't say much about this, but want to be able to "find" it again so include it on my reading blog.

I got this because I want to curb my high blood pressure without medicine. It is definitely different to cook for just two people (who are aging and eat less) than it was to plan and cook meals for a family of five (three of whom were teen boys!). Even though it's been just the two of us for a while, we're still changing our household habits.

I loved the intro material and her writing style. I looked through some of the recipes, but haven't tried any yet (and have already renewed the book twice). I looked for stir fry with rice. This is something I love to eat and it can be healthy if you don't add too much salt. That recipe was fine, but I didn't have all the ingredients. Then I saw that many of the recipes in this book have added salt! Only a little bit of salt, but still! I know that one of the huge health benefits of preparing your own food is limiting the salt. Avoid processed foods, add other seasonings instead of salt, etc. Time for this to go back to the library.

No comments: