Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Man He Never Was

by James L. Rubart
Scott County Library paperback 364 pages
genre: Christian fiction

I waited too long to start reading this and have to return it to the library (two days ago . . . someone's waiting . . . and I had already renewed it . . . bad library user!) so I speed-read it last night. No post-it notes.

It will be interesting to discuss it at book club this month. Toren Daniels had a major anger problem. When he disappeared for eight months, people thought he was dead. His sudden reappearance (with no memory of where he'd been for that time) causes major havoc in the lives of his family, friends, and football fans.

What I liked: the Jekyll / Hyde analogy, with the "two halves" of good and evil, along with the fable of the two dogs, black and white

What I disliked: Toren was kind of an irritating character. Plus, how on earth did all these people survive financially for so long with no apparent income? It's not like he had been an NFL star before his disappearance!

Again, I look forward to hearing book club conversation about this title.

No comments: