Monday, January 21, 2019

Stars Over Clear Lake

by Loretta Ellsworth
Scott County Library audiobook 8 CDs
read by Tavia Gilbert
genre: Historical fiction

This was a delightful story set in a place I've visited - Clear Lake, Iowa. Alternating between the 1940s and 2007, we meet Lorraine Kindred (cool last name) as a teenager and a woman in her 70s, mourning the loss of her beloved husband Sid.

The story was delightful! I don't want to give too much away, so I'll just jot my notes here.

1944 - the mom is *nasty*
Sid - prominent character in the 2000s . . . but not mentioned in the 1940s at all
The Surf Ballroom - cool history!!!
Pete's letter . . . so glad he sent it.
1944-47 - I love this part the best!
2007 - kind of depressing
Daisy's a B-I-*-*-*
Stella . . . not much of a friend
Lance Dugan is a jerk
Scotty / Jens (sounds like "Yens") . . . could one of them be Sid???
Miss Berkland - love her!
YES! I love the part where we find out (finally) who Sid is/was!

The author's note at the end was fascinating. There were over 700 POW camps in the U.S. during WWII. Sounds like I should make a trip to Camp Algona in Iowa . . . and visit The Surf (the rebuilt one, of course) while I'm in the area.

What a fun book! I was entertained and I learned. Delightful!

No comments: