Sunday, March 11, 2018

A Man Called Ove

by Henrik Backman
Scott County Library audiobook 8 CDs
read by George Newbern
genre: realistic fiction

Oh. My. Word.
Backman is amazing! I had heard of this book when it became popular a few years ago, but only got this audiobook after reading his title My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry (also amazing!).

As I started listening to it, I thought "what a jerk!" I had to stop the CD a bunch of times because I am a very character-driven reader and I did *not* like the character of Ove. (It's pronounced "Ooh-vah," not "Ove" like "stove" . . . ) The back of the case says, "He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him 'the bitter neighbor from hell.'"

Here are some of my first quick jottings:
- people like Ove really exist . . . pointless! Fussy.
- How do you want to spend your life?
- Oo-vah
- Backing with a trailer - ugh! I can't back up with a trailer. That doesn't make me an idiot! (My note actually says "Backing w/a trailer" . . . I try to focus on driving when I'm driving!)
- 1/4 ton guy . . . "testing bacon for a living" . . . both funny AND mean

Then as I listened more and stopped the CD less, I made note of Parvana - "the pregnant one" and Patrick - "the lanky one."

I loved getting to know Ove and Sonja. I started to worry that the book would ultimately be too dark and depressing and sad . . . but there were so many places where I laughed out loud! As I got to "know" and appreciate this cranky old man and his story, I grew to really care about him.

"The blond weed" and her dog Prince . . . and Ove's idea for revenge on the dog's attack on the cat . . . I was loving this story.

Ove is only 59?!?!? I thought he was much older! (I had quickly guessed about Sonja before it was revealed in the story.)

The author's use of repetition is brilliant.

So funny!

I don't think this is a spoiler, but my last note (which connects to the opening scene in the book) is "I'm relieved that Jimmy is at the Apple store with Ove and Ove is buying an iPad for his 7-year-old neighbor girl."

I was in tears by the end, but they were good. I would (and probably will) buy my own copy of this book!

The reader's vocal work was spot-on.

No comments: