Saturday, March 17, 2018

Falling into Place: A Memoir of Overcoming

by Hattie Kauffman
my copy, paperback 236 pages
genre: Christian memoir

I didn't have access to post-it notes as I read this (or was simply too lazy to go get them) . . . but I own it and can re-read it to make note of the things that really impacted me. I met Ms. Kauffman at the Scotts' church a few years ago. She was so interesting to listen to and I purchased her book, which she signed for me.

Much of the book is about the breakup of her second marriage, interspersed with stories of her childhood. One thing that really struck me was the impact her aunt Teddy had on her - teaching her Scripture, bringing her to church, etc. Teddy could not have known how sowing seeds into Hattie's life would bear fruit so many years later.

This book was hard to read at times (her husband wanting a divorce and her struggle with her blossoming faith / in a news anchor career that generally eschews Christianity . . . ) but her writing style is very inviting. She did a great job of making connections between what she is going through as an adult and what she experienced as a child. One of seven children of an American Indian woman and a white man (both parents were alcoholics), Hattie knew poverty, hunger, and insecurity. Yet her story of overcoming is just that.

 

<I wrote the above on 3.17.2018. Below on 1.4.2023.>

I've decided to donate this book to the Recovery Church as well. Again, I have so many books and want to decrease my possessions this year. I hope someone who needs to read her story picks this up.

No comments: