Sunday, March 11, 2018

Ashes

by Ilsa J. Bick
Scott County Library paperback 465 pages
book one of the Ashes trilogy
genre: YA dystopian fiction

Ugh! I started reading this while subbing. It looked somewhat interesting and the kids had silent reading time (ten minutes for each of four sections of language arts), so I got to page 100 and was hooked. Two weeks later, I grabbed it for silent reading in a sixth grade classroom. Again, multiple sections later, I was on page 160. I decided to just get it from the county library and finish it. And now that I have . . . I will get book two, because the story has NOT resolved.

Alex (a girl) has lost both her parents and is struggling with a brain tumor that is killing her. Deciding to forego further treatment, she heads out on a camping trip intending to kill herself. Instead, she meets up with a grandpa and his sullen young granddaughter, Ellie. A cataclysmic event ***SPOILER ALERT***
instantly kills grandpa (and most other humans between young adults and mature adults). Of the  young people left alive, some change . . . into cannibals. Like zombies, but they haven't died yet. The elderly have also survived, but survival is getting harder. Alex and Ellie have many encounters with danger and near-death. Tom is a super important character . . .

I was disappointed with the author's choice to have Rule be such a cult-like place and to introduce a love-triangle dilemma for Alex, but hey! I need to read book two to see where it goes.

No comments: