Wednesday, August 09, 2017

A Dog's Way Home

by Bruce Cameron
Scott County Library audiobook 9 CDs
read by Ann Marie Lee
genre: realistic fiction

  • young man lives with mom, a former military veteran with some chemical dependency issues and depression (and seizures)
  • vocal work was good, especially with the dog Bella
  • I only got through 3 of the 9 CDs, but had to return it to the library because it was on hold. I liked it, but not well enough to get it back again to finish it.
  • I loved the warriors at the VA needing Bella and helping to keep her hidden!
  • I liked the dog point of view, especially at the start of the book. It made me think of Titus and sharing the book with Louie.
  • it got a little too melodramatic for me - the author's text or the reader's voice??? Not sure. The animal rights activists were a bit too gung-ho (IMO) about saving some feral cats.
  • The construction guys' (especially Gunther's) meanness and use of the Lord's name in vain got to be overmuch. They were clearly (and crudely) the black-coat wearing bad guys.

No comments: