Friday, August 18, 2017

The Magician's Elephant

by Kate DiCamillo
Scott County Library audiobook 3 CDs
performed by Juliet Stevenson
genre: children's fiction, fantasy

This short little book was another gem from local author DiCamillo! And Stevenson's vocal work was extraordinary! She really brought the many different characters to life. I liked the repeated theme of dreams and their impact on people's lives and thoughts. I really disliked the repetition of the laments shared by the magician "I only intended lilies!" and Madame LaVaughn "But you don't understand!"

Peter Augustus Duchene - 10 years old, with his cap, not wanting to be a soldier. I felt so sad for this little boy!

Adele - his little sister, raised at the Sisters of Perpetual Light

Sister Marie - the door keeper

Tomas, the beggar, and his dog Iddo - I loved these two!

Leo Matienne and his wife - also wonderful

Countess Quintet - money can get you whatever you want . . .

Vilna Lutz - not a bad character, but ugh! A soldier trying to make a young boy into a soldier. Just no!

Bartok Whynn - In audio, I heard his last name as "Nguyen," but was pretty sure he wasn't supposed to be from a non-European heritage . . . quirky fellow.

Hans Ickmann - Madame LaVaughn's servant. I loved his dreams of the little white dog of his childhood

DiCamillo is incredibly gifted. I'm so glad she wrote this lovely story! Peter is an admirable protagonist.

No comments: