Friday, August 11, 2017

The Distance Between Us (Young Readers Edition)

by Reyna Grande
Hennepin County Library hardcover 322 pages
genre: non-fiction memoir

This was amazing! I'm tempted to get a copy of the original version she wrote. This was such a powerful piece of storytelling by a girl from Mexico who just wants her family together. I love how her sister Mago (Magloria) cared for her!

Page 261 - When Reyna has her belated Quincenera due to Mago's efforts and is dancing with her father, turning his face away from the alcohol on his breath: "Always my eyes returned to my sister standing by the door looking proudly at me. And I knew I should have been dancing the waltz with her."

Page 268 - "Was my uncle right? Was it better to be poor but together? Or was it better to try to find a better life, even if it meant breaking up your family?" These are questions that many people probably ask. There are life-changing decisions at stake. I can't imagine choosing abject poverty . . . but I can't really imagine my family being separated, either.

Love, love, love the photographs! Between pages 294 and 295, there are so many lovely pictures! I'm so glad she included these. She was such an adorable little girl!

Page 309 - "I grabbed the book and found a comfortable spot on the couch, where I read The House on Mango Street while Diana graded papers. It's difficult to describe the impact this book had on me. It was absolutely beautiful. Exquisite. I was in awe of the poetic language, the beautiful images, the way the words just flowed together." I love this for two reasons - an educator made a difference in her life and literature opened doors for her.

No comments: