Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Pathos Rising

by Walter J Roers
Amazon paperback 183 pages
genre: realistic fiction

Mr. Roers is a very nice man (we had him as a guest author at our school a few years ago) but I don't like this book as well as his first title, The Pact. This one centers on Henry Blaine, a retired man who is seeing the challenges of aging from an uncomfortable place.

I don't even really want to describe this book. The parts I liked were quick bursts and passages (he really is a good writer!) but the parts I disliked were the entire man-going-through a post-midlife crisis theme. The ending was pleasantly wonderful, but not quite enough to make the book a success for me.

When the Ron character gets the Henry character to go to lunch with him after the breakup of Ron's marriage, Henry asks him why he cheated on his wife of 40 years; was it boredom? "No, I'm not just talking about being bored. I'm not that shallow. . . . I'm talking about being around someone who makes you feel good about yourself, who maybe makes you feel like they're thrilled to see you when you walk in the room. And, frankly, is maybe a little exciting sexually." Yeah, I'll just call you a shallow jerk, Ron.

Then when the guys are discussing Ron at lunch, Jake says, "If someone is a liar and a crook at seventeen, they'll be a liar and a crook when they're seventy. That's human nature." Henry says, "You can't be serious. You've just dismissed the whole idea of redemption and choices of conscience." I have to agree with Henry on this one!

Page 165 - "I could only think what phantoms we all carry with us and how the past forever reaches out and defines the present." This is just so very sad . . . and also so true for some people who struggle with forgiveness (of themselves and/or others) and redemption.


No comments: