Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The One Good Thing

by Kevin Alan Milne
Hennepin County Library paperback 363 pages
genre: Christian fiction, relationships

We're discussing this at book club tonight! The prologue didn't grab my attention, but when I got to know the characters (Nathan, Halley, Ty, and Alice) I was drawn in. I couldn't believe the book had me crying in the first quarter of it! I don't usually care enough about the characters to cry at the start of the book.

page 168 - Madeline's school experience broke my heart. I know too many students who go here: "I didn't cry. I was used to it, sort of numb. This wasn't any worse than what I experienced on a daily basis. But still, right then I could feel something inside of me sort of . . . crumble, I guess. Or burst. Or evaporate. I think it was my will. From that moment on, I stopped caring. About anything. After hearing how awful I was so many times, I concluded that everyone else must be right."

page 312 - Alice *knowing* that Madeline was hiding something. I think Alice was my favorite character. "I don't know how a seventh-grader knows I'm lying, but I do know that the look on her face and the sound of her voice is killing me." Ah! I don't want to write any spoilers! Suffice it to say, that when deception is used, it generally makes things worse instead of better.

page 330 - Grandpa and Ty are talking by the rock polisher. Ty - "How did he do it? How did he help so many people?" Grandpa - "The only way you can, one person at a time." I loved the stones and the symbolism of making a conscious choice to get out of your comfort zone to help others.

Author's Note - " . . . opportunities for kindness, service, selflessness, and love of our fellow man abound, so long as we're willing to open our hearts and lend a hand." So very true! I love that this message was well-delivered without being preachy. What a cool and wonderful book! I would like to find others by this author.

No comments: