Monday, May 16, 2016

Caregiver's Handbook: A Practical, Visual Guide for the Home Caregiver

by several contributers at Dorling Kindersley
Hennepin County Library paperback 219 pages
genre: Non-fiction self-help caregiving

This was concise and interesting. The contents include:
Becoming a caregiver
Making changes to the home
Diet and health
Social and mental well-being
Maintaining and aiding mobility
Comfort in bed
Personal care
Day-to-day nursing
First aid emergencies
End-of-life care
Resources

I actually got kind of agitated reading this. I "get" that many, many people in my generation are caregivers for elderly parents . . . but I still struggle with the role. I struggle with my siblings in-law and their lack of understanding about how much our lives have changed by having my father-in-law living with us. I spent five and a half years (along with my three siblings) caring for our elderly parents. I'm so grateful we all chipped in and took turns! I'm so glad all three of my sons helped out when they could. I wish I could convince my siblings-in-law to step up and help us out. I'm glad my father-in-law doesn't need nursing care (yet).

Page 201 had a section on "caring for yourself." It's actually in the section on bereavement. Since my dad was still alive four months ago (Jan. 16), I sometimes forget to cut myself some slack. "Don't expect too much from yourself. Giver yourself permission to be disorganized and make mistakes for a while." It's just hard right now, at the end of the school year, to take this advice to heart.

No comments: