Monday, May 16, 2016

Fairy Tail 1 / Fairy Tail: Blue Mistral 1 / Fairy Tail: Ice Trail 1

by Hiro Mashima / Hiro Mashima and art by Rui Watanabe / Yuusuke Shirate
Hennepin County Library, paperbacks, approx 200 pages each
genre: YA manga fantasy action

I really, really dislike manga. But I have students who *love* it, so I continue to read and consider their recommendations. I have very little money to spend, so I am really not in the market to invest in a new series this year.

Fairy Tail - the usual boobs, big eyes, fighting, and strange noises. Wizards, powerful objects, and magic guilds. Lucy connects with Natsu and Happy (his cat with wings sidekick). The storytelling is meh. This is just not something I enjoy. I did like the author's choice to explain honorifics and his choice to include them in the story.

Fairy Tail: Blue Mistral - more of a middle-school version. The witches are 12-year-olds. I didn't read the whole thing because I got the gist of the story from the Fairy Tail original. "She may only be 12 years old, but Wendy Marvell is already a member of the magical guild Fairy Tail, and a powerful dragon slayer wizard. Even so, she's a little nervous when she sets out for the town of Nanalu for her first solo job: to discover why some of the locals have been mysteriously disappearing!"

Fairy Tail: Ice Trail - I read almost half of this one. Lots of fighting. Much, much more fighting. Nano Leaf is a girl who can speed up time inside an egg (that's her power). The evil Chrono-guy (don't remember his name) wants her to quickly incubate a demon's egg so he can continue with his evil plans. The mysterious boy who has the "magic of freedom" gets involved in saving her and defeating the bad guys. When the most evil guy is released from a high-security prison and he releases all the other prisoners, telling them to murder the guards . . . I decided I'd had enough.

If I had a LOT of money, I think I'd buy the Blue Mistral series . . . but I think students would like the original Fairy Tail the best.

No comments: