Monday, May 16, 2016

Dorothy Must Die

by D.M. Paige
Hennepin County Library paperback 452 pages
genre: YA fantasy

I'm not sure who recommended this book, but I wish I knew so I could discuss it with them! In this weird tale, Amy Gumm (a nobody from Kansas) transports to Oz in a tornado. Only Oz was revisited by the legendary Dorothy, who has taken control and is trying to steal all the magic in the land.

Liked:
- inventiveness of story
- twists I didn't anticipate
- action
- drew me in!

Disliked:
- Amy making so many stupid decisions that endangered other creatures' lives
- Amy as protagonist . . . strong or weak? determined or wishy-washy?
- from reading the back flap, I *knew* the story would get drawn out for several books . . . I wish they would have left it more up in the air.

I don't know whether I want to read the rest or not. I would definitely buy this series for a high school collection. Although many of my middle schoolers could handle the swearing and length, it might be daunting for the majority (and I have almost no book budget).

No comments: