Thursday, March 27, 2014

Down the Street & My Perfect Life

by Lynda Barry
Joh K's books, paperback, 123 & 127 pages
genre: graphic novels, YA coming-of-age

Joh stressed how much his students enjoy these books and loaned them to me. I am not a huge fan of Barry's artwork . . . it looks grotesque to me. My Perfect Life is the more interesting of the two (also the more faithful graphic NOVEL vs. a collection of comics). Maybonne is 14 and dealing with boy issues, friend issues, thoughts of worthlessness and suicide, . . . it is a very teenage book with what she is dealing with on an emotional and relational level. Still, I won't buy these for the media center. Barry is calling on her own adolescence for these tales, and while the essential issues are unchanged, the cultural landscape is significantly different in this decade.

No comments: