Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Year of Fog

by Michelle Richmond
hardcover, 369 pages, Hennepin County Library


I really liked this book! After hearing Lupe pan it, I didn't have my hopes up. Granted, after about a hundred or so pages, I was sorely tempted to go to the end and find out if they ever found Emma. I resisted temptation, though, and tried to focus on the beauty of the language - very evocative and descriptive. I also got caught up in the analysis of memory and what a tricky thing it can be. What an interesting coincidence that Louie and I just watched "50 First Dates" on Sunday night! Memory is an interesting phenomenon indeed.

It will be really fun to discuss this with book club next week, especially the ending. One thing I really liked: Goofy asking Abby if they can be family. Cool! I also loved the character of Anabelle. Classy.

No comments: