Saturday, February 16, 2008

Around the World in a Bad Mood

Subtitled: Confessions of a Flight Attendant
by Rene Foss
paperback, 200 pages, Hennepin County Library

Based on the review I read, I thought this book would be hilarious, laugh-out-loud funny. Not so much. Most of it seemed like a bitter rant about the misery of her job. Quite a few times, I thought about just returning the book to the library without finishing it. I'm glad I stuck it out - it gave me some insight and made me consider my own behavior (not so much on planes, since I don't get to fly often, but anytime I encounter people in the service industry). The last few chapters were the best, and it was interesting to read about this becoming a show. I wonder if the show isn't a bit more enjoyable than the book . . . I especially loved her last few pages. She finished the book on 9/6/01, and was working a flight on 9/11. Her tribute to those who died in the plane crashes brought me to tears.

No comments: